10 x 7 inches
Watercolour and watercolour pencil on paper
I've done very few still life artwork over the years - almost none in fact. I think most of the ones I did were those I had no choice in doing, back in school, when the subject matter usually consisted of an animal skull, a broken mirror and an assortment of rusty, non-descript lumps of metal. Pretty dull stuff for young minds really. The art department's budget probably didn't extend to fresh fruit - not that I would have necessarily found that any more interesting.
Suffice to say, I think those early still life sessions put me off the subject for life. But with my recent resolve to try and paint and sketch more from life and less from photographs, I'm prepared to forget my prejudices. When it's cold, wet and dark outside, still life has it's advantages.
And I even enjoyed doing this sketch.

No comments:
Post a Comment