Pencil and digital
If I had to choose my dream illustration job, it would have to be Michael Moorcock's Elric novels. Of all the fantasy and science fiction I've read over the years, I'd have to say Moorcock is my favourite author and his Elric novels among my favourite reads. I was totally absorbed the first time I read them, and I remember how utterly captivating I found the opening description of Elric in the first book, where he sits on his ruby throne wearing his yellow robes. His flesh is bone white and his slanted, crimson eyes are moody and staring. Probably no other book has drawn me in with it's opening paragraph than Elric of Melniboné.
I might revisit this illustration at some point to rework the dragonhelm design into something less sketchy, but apart from that I'm pretty happy with this piece.

No comments:
Post a Comment