16 x 20 inches
Oil on canvas
(commissioned work)
This painting was a first for me in many ways - first commission of 2012, first time I'd painted a group portrait (well, more than two people that is), and first time I'd painted full figure portraits. I knew it would be a challenge, particularly trying to capture a good facial likeness of everyone on a scale much smaller than I'm used to working on, so I was a little bit anxious about that before starting. However, once the painting got underway it really came together well.
The subject of the painting really carried me through on this one. A family on holiday together, all smiles and sunshine, having a brilliant time together. I knew I had to bring all that good feeling out in the painting and celebrate it. I think I managed to achieve that, so I was well happy in the end.

Really lovely, Kevin! I was blown away when B posted this on Facebook, and I knew right away that it was one of yours! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Shannon! This one was a real pleasure to do :-)
ReplyDeleteImpressive painting! Thanks!! I talked about it in my English class in Germany. Students just loved it. It reminded them of the fun they had on holiday. They all loved the atmosphere. And so do I!
ReplyDeleteThanks v much Heiko. Really glad you like the painting :-)
ReplyDelete