Saturday, October 9, 2010

"Gandalf the Grey"

Digital painting (Corel Painter)

Quality painting time seems to have eluded me during the past week or two. Probably for that reason I found it easier to do another digital piece rather than the oil painting I had originally planned. When your set up and clean up time only involves switching the computer on and off, you can't beat it, especially if you've only got a spare hour here or there.

The idea for this one came after playing around with a few sketches and eventually ending up with a drawing that made me think of Gandalf from Tolkein's Lord of The Rings. Old man, beard, pointy hat and staff - it can only be one man, right? It's not any particular scene from the books - just me imagining the old wizard making his way through some dark and dangerous forest somewhere in Middle Earth.

Hope you like!

3 comments:

  1. realy great only starting to use soft ware hope to get this good

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! the texture and lighting work very well and leads the viewer's eyes to Gandalf's eye.

    I'm beginning to learn the software as well - it's good that you have a blog site for motivation.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments folks. I'm fairly new to digital paint as well, so really appreciate the compliments. It's amazing how quickly you can develop your skills with digital. What I love is the freedom is gives you to experiment with colour, texture and lighting - in essence, being able to make mistakes more quickly until you arrive at what you're trying to achieve. It's great for building your confidence.

    ReplyDelete