Friday, December 31, 2010

"Pat Garrett"

8 x 8"
Oil on stretched canvas
(sold)

Well, here's my final painting of 2010. I'm still enjoying doing these small character portaits, so I hope anyone who visits my blog is also liking them. What started as an idea for doing something different has turned into a regular thing, and I think I will continue doing them into next year. There are so many cool film characters I still want to paint!

This one is of James Coburn from Sam Peckinpah's 1973 classic, Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid. Coburn plays an outstanding role as the moody, reluctant Sheriff who's hired to bring in the kid. I could go on and on about how much I love this film, but instead I'll just encourage you to go and watch it for yourself. If you like westerns, you'll not be disappointed - I guarantee it.

I should also say that the soundtrack for the film was written by Bob Dylan, who also has an acting part. Whilst doing the painting I listened to the music and became totally absorbed by it. Everyone's heard of Knockin On Heaven's Door, but I think it can only be fully appreciated when you hear it in the context of the film for which it was written. Very moving stuff!

I hope 2010 has been good for you. My best wishes to you for a great New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment