Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Yoda"


8 x 10"
Oil on canvas
(sold)

It's been good to get back to the paints again after a little unplanned hiatus. I'm looking forward to the festive break, which should be a good chance to catch up on some other paintings I had been meaning to do this month.

Here's another Star Wars portait - like you needed me to tell you that! This is my first ever portait of character who is...well...not real, if you know what I mean. I quite enjoyed that aspect of it - having the opportunity to add even more life and believability into the face of a puppet. Of course, that's not intended to take anything away from the creators of Yoda. Quite the contrary. Stuart Freeborn, the make-up artist who originally designed and built the puppet, and Frank Oz, who operated him and provided that legendary voice, did an incredible job of bringing to life one of the most memorable characters from the Star Wars films.

Incidentally, Stuart Freeborn also designed and built the costume for Chewbacca, so I look forward to doing a 'Chewie' portait one day soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment