Friday, November 26, 2010

"Pike" and "Dutch"

"Pike"
8 x 8" oil on canvas (commissioned work)

"Dutch"
8 x 8" oil on canvas (commissioned work)

Here are two paintings that I recently completed for a private commission. Both are portraits of characters from the brilliant 1969 film The Wild Bunch, directed by Sam Peckinpah. Pike Bishop is played by William Holden, and his faithful sidekick Dutch Engstrom is played by Ernest Borgnine. It's a beautifully shot film with wonderful cinematography, and the explosive finale is one of my favourite film endings of all time.

Commissions can be challenging to do sometimes, but I think they can also bring out the best in you since you're working hard to please a customer. These ones were especially enjoyable because the subjects are something I would have liked to get round to painting anyway. It would be good to paint other characters from the film one day - probably the other members of Pike's outlaw gang, and certainly Robert Ryan who gives a great performance as Deke Thornton, the erstwhile friend with orders to chase them down.

No comments:

Post a Comment