
I thought I'd keep the blog topped up with some sketchbook stuff while I work on new paintings. Here's a couple of quick pencil vignettes I did of paintings by the late Angus McBride, both of which I think he did for titles by Osprey Publishing.
I've long been a fan of Angus's work. He was such a prolific and masterful illustrator, and an endless source of inspiration for an aspirant like me. His paintings for the roleplaying games of Iron Crown Enterprises were what first got me addicted to his talent, and then latterly I started discovering his wonderful historical illustrations - and I am still am discovering them, such is the huge amount of work he produced in his lifetime.
Copying the work of other artists is not something I've really done since I was a boy, but I think it's something I should try and do a bit more of now and again. People say you should study the masters, and Angus McBride was certainly one of those - a complete master. 'Le Magicien McBride' they called him.

Beautiful drawings, and your blog is so well written.
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen. Always appreciate your visits and comments. I usually worry that my posts are just disjointed ramblings but maybe they're not that bad after all :-)
ReplyDelete