

I thought it was about time I started using the blog to share more than just finished paintings. If folks are interested I'm going to sprinkle in some photos and a bit of chat here and there about my work space, the materials and equipment I use, my process, techniques, tips, and anything else I can think to pass on. I should say up front that it's not art gospel or the advice of an expert. It's simply me talking about the way I happen to do things. Of course, when you're blogging into the void it's hard to know if anyone really cares about this sort of stuff, but what the heck. I'll do it anyway.
First up I thought I'd show you the two easels I use. I have a Mabef desk easel, which until recently was my mainstay. It's good for the small size canvases I often use and is nice and portable. It served me well for a long time but since August I've been using my wall easel instead.
I found the design for the wall easel on this blog after searching around on the web for ideas on how to save money by building my own easel. The great thing about this wall easel is that it does not take up the floor space that a free-standing one would. It's also quick and easy to step back from and view your painting in progress, and because it's vertical you are seeing the painting at the same angle as you would when it's finished and hanging up. If you prefer to sit down when painting, or if feet get a little sore from standing, it's a simple job to slide the canvas down and pull up a stool or chair.
All in all it only cost me the price of a few strips of softwood and some screws and bolts. Yes, it's a bit crude looking, and you need a wall where you can have it permanently installed, but it works a treat. I can certainly see myself using it for a while to come.
By the way, the portrait pictured on the wall easel above is a current work in progress. More on that in a later post.
No comments:
Post a Comment