Monday, August 29, 2011

"The Green Wave"


30 x 20"
Oil on canvas (commissioned work)

Here's the seascape painting that I mentioned in an earlier post. At 30x20 inches this is the largest canvas I've done to date, and it's also my first seascape in a long time, so from the outset this commission felt like a good challenge. I was surprised, however, at how quickly I got into working on the larger scale, and I now find myself looking at some of my older paintings and thinking how small they are!

The final painting differs a little from the composition of the first thumbnail I did. A few adjustments at the customer's request meant removing some of the rock masses and extending the main breaking wave off the right of the canvas. This really made the wave the main feature of the painting, so I was conscious of building everything else around this in terms of tone, colour and how the viewer's eye moves around the painting.

All in all it's been a very enjoyable painting to work on and I certainly hope to do more seascapes (and indeed landscapes) in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! My Dad once had something similar that was always hung over the sofa and with track lighting on it the wave truly seemed to be in motion when you walked by or just stared at it. I loved it and the style you painted seems so close to what his was....Absolutely gorgeous job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks you very much for the lovely comment. I'm glad you liked the painting and that it reminded you of your Dad's work. Thanks for sharing your recollection :-)

    ReplyDelete