Wednesday, March 27, 2013
24th Foot soldier - work in progress
I thought I'd post up a snapshot of this illustration that I'm working on just now. It's still a work in progress, although I could leave it as a finished concept sketch in its on right I suppose. I've got most of the information drawn in now, so I'm ready to start tightening everything up and adding in more detail.
I've been wanting to expand my portfolio to include some historical illustration, and I seem to have Redcoats on the brain lately (probably due to reading a lot of the Bernard Cornwell 'Sharpe' novels), and so I thought I'd start with this illustration of a Private from the 24th Regiment of Foot, circa 1879 ( quite a bit later than the Sharpe stories). The 24th is well known for its famous defence of the mission station at Rorke's Drift in the Natal Province of South Africa in 1879 against a Zulu army many times its size.
I'll probably let this sketch rest for a few days before coming back to finish it off. In the meantime I think I'll start a few other sketches along similar lines.
Labels: kevin jackson, art, artist, scotland,
Illustrations,
private,
redcoat,
rorke's drift,
zulu
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment