Friday, March 29, 2013

Zulu warrior



Continuing on from my previous post, here's another portfolio piece that I've just finished. Having drawn one of the British soldiers from Rorke's Drift, it was time to draw one of the many brave zulu warriors who faced their enemy's rifles that day in 1879. Around three or four thousand Zulus took part in the assault, and perhaps as many as 600 died, including wounded warriors who were not spared by the British in the aftermath of the battle.

I really enjoyed doing this piece. As with the other illustration, I kept the canvas size fairly small throughout - never more than 1000 pixels on the longest side, which I've found helps me to avoid the temptation of using too small a brush and painting in too much detail. It also means the illustration progresses quite quickly, which is what I want with these small figure drawings.

This drawing is a bit more polished than the last one though, and I don't really feel the urge to go back and do a more detailed version. I'm happy with this as a finished illustration in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment