10 x 7 inches
Coloured pencil
My experience of using coloured pencil is still pretty limited - and I have to admit that, in the past, it was never a medium that I gave any thought to using seriously. But the more I've been working with it lately the more I see the potential. I love the way you can layer colours one on top of the other, almost like using glazes in an oil painting, and the way the pencils interact with the paper texture can be very satisfying. The only annoying downside is that coloured pencil doesn't sccan well at all (at least, not on my scanner), so I have to make do with a photo using my phone's camera. Hence, my apologies for the slight shadow in the bottom left corner. I'll try to upload a better shot later.
Bernard Hinault, for those of you who are wondering, is a former French cyclist who rode in the 70s and 80s. He was nicknamed 'The Badger' because he too would never let go of his prey, and this tenacity helped him to win five Tours de France. If I can find some suitable video footage to work from as reference, I'd like to do more drawings like this of other cycling legends. Eddy Merckx next? Or maybe fellow Scotsman Robert Millar?
p.s. With me getting back to doing cycling art again on what will hopefully be at least a semi-regular basis, I've decided to ressurect the Painting The Peloton blog. If you're interested purely in my cycling art, that'll be the place to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment