Sunday, April 14, 2013

Rhino sketch

6 x 8 inches
Coloured pencil

I visited the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh the other week, taking my sketchbook with me and hoping to do some quick drawings of one or two exhibits. However, it ended up being just a flying visit, and I didn't really get the chance, so this little drawing was done later at home. Thinking back, I wonder if I was just making excuses, pretending to myself that there wasn't really the time or the opportunity to do some drawing, when really I was just being too self-conscious about sketching in public. What I should have done was follow the example of the dozens of children on their school holidays who were all around the natural history section, pencil and paper in hand, studiously drawing this creature and that, sometimes sitting cross-legged on the floor, totally engrossed in their drawing and completely oblivious to the traffic around them.

Next time I'll try harder to overcome any inhibitions I might have and just get on with it. I might not sit cross-legged on the floor, but I'll try to stop worrying about whether or not someone might be looking over my shoulder...

No comments:

Post a Comment