Friday, June 25, 2010

"Study time"


5 x 8"
Oil on board

Two students at the University of Stirling share some outdoor reading time on a warm summer's day.

The campus, which is just a few miles from where I live, is I think one of the most pleasant environments of any of Scotland's universities. There is lots of greenery, water, wildlife and sculpture, and plenty of winding pathways on which to explore it all. I think I would have enjoyed being a student here, if I'd had the option.

This is officially the smallest painting I've ever done, but keeping them on the small side is fairly important just now in terms of my wanting to be able to increase my output and develop my technique. I was feeling the urge to do something figurative, so this subject was a perfect choice really. I was attracted to the companionable silence of the moment, and to the fact that both girls had dark hair and were wearing the same colour of clothes. It seemed to make their bond closer somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment