
8 x 8"
Oil on canvas
(commissioned work)
Here's the second in the series of portraits I'm working on just now. This time the portrait is of Bert Carlisle, the gentleman who has commissioned this particular series. It was another very enjoyable painting to work on and I'm pleased with how it turned out.
The painting's title comes from the fact that Bert has been involved for many years with the Countryside Alliance, a membership body established to protect rural life and the interests of all those who love the countryside. It carries out conservation work and campaigns across a broad range of issues from the retention of local village shops and post offices, to the opposition of commercial netting of Atlantic salmon.
Bert was founder Chairman of the Countryside Alliance in Northern Ireland, having been approached by their mainland body when he retired to help them set it up on the island. The organisation is now a thriving one and Bert remains its President in Northern Ireland. In many circles he is affectionately known as 'Beggar' Carlisle on account of his pestering for donations and memberships to aid in conserving the rural way of life. Although I have not met Bert myself, I think I've learned enough about him to appreciate the gentle irony of that nickname.
I hope folk enjoy seeing this series of portraits as it unfolds. More to follow soon.
When I first started work 50 years ago with Calor Gas on Lockview Road Belfast, Bert Carlisle was my boss. Recently I was thinking about those days and wondered about him. When I saw your painting I recognised him right away. If you see him tell him Mervyn Dinsmore was asking for him and sends his regards. Thanks
ReplyDeleteMervyn Dinsmore
mossy1947@live.com