
8 x 8"
Oil on stretched canvas
I fancied doing some portrait studies this week, so here's the first of (hopefully) a few. In lieu of having someone to sit and pose for me, I find using characters from films is a great alternative (especially if it's one of my favourite films, as in this case). The painting was mostly done over one evening, with some final highlights and adjustments made the next day once the oils had dried. I enjoy using film reference like this because, even though its not a life study, it's still a good way to observe interesting lighting conditions and colour.
The painting is of Lieutenant Adendorff in the 1964 film 'Zulu', played by South African born actor, Gert van den Bergh. He gives a great performance as one of the Boers who helps the British. Early in the film, Adendorff's sharp exchanges with Lieutenant Bromhead (played by Michael Caine) are especially brilliant. It's sad to note that van den Bergh died a few years after the film was made, aged just 48.
Fabulous!
ReplyDeleteThanks Karen :-)
ReplyDelete