Saturday, July 17, 2010

"The Red Dancers"


8 x 8"
Oil on board

This painting was done using a reference photo that my Dad recently sent me (thanks Dad!). My parents live in Malta in the old fortified city of Senglea, and took some pictures a while ago of the Maritime Festival that takes place there each year. The original photo shows lots more dancers in different coloured costumes, but I wanted to just focus on the two figures in red for the purposes of the painting.

Really enjoyed doing this one. I used Cadmium Red for the clothing, which is such a wonderful colour to work with. By mixing it with French Ultramarine you can get some lovely rich tones in the shadow areas. It was tempting to want to paint in more figures and the street setting, but in the end I decided to just keep the background plain so all attention is on the figures. I hope you like it!

ps. You know, we could really do with some Mediterranean sun here in Scotland just now...

2 comments:

  1. Great reds in this one Kevin, and you captured a good sense of movement in the dancers. I also like your choice to eliminate all but the dancers. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Liz. Glad you like this one. It's one of my personal favourites so far. Really appreciate your comments. :-)

    ReplyDelete