Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"Over A Barrel"


8 x 8"
Oil on linen

Following on from my last painting, here's another little scene from the Senglea Maritime Festival in Malta. The gentlemen are dressed as they might have been in a bygone era, working as hands in the old sailing days. Thanks again to my Dad for sending me the reference photo on which the painting is based.

My love of illustration shows through in this piece I think. I've always liked paintings that have some sort of narrative to them, and I'm a great admirer of work by artists / illustrators such as Greg Manchess and the late Angus McBride. Whenever I need a shot of inspiration I only need to leaf through a book of work by one of these guys and it's not long before I'm scrambling to get my brushes out again.

More paintings to follow soon hopefully!

2 comments:

  1. What excellent paintings you do. Such beautiful work. Thank you for putting them on a website for all to see. Your portraits are magnificent. Keep up the good work. Regards, Katherine in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,
    Thanks for posting. It really means a lot to receive such an enouraging comment like that. Very much appreciated!
    p.s. Sorry the blog's been a bit quieter this month. Should get back to more regular posts soon!

    ReplyDelete